Thursday 8 August 2013

[Aug 08] 6. A Movie I Watched Recently And How It Made Me Think About My Life

Long title is long. This is a hard topic. I don't really watch a lot of films. However, I had a movie night with my boyfriend not too long ago so I can probably write about the film we watched then.

A Movie I Watched Recently And How It Made Me Think About My Life

Grave of the Fireflies, or 火垂るの墓(Hotaru No Haka) as it is known in Japanese. I watched this film with my boyfriend recently and bawled like a baby. It is so touching and sad. The film is based in Japan during World War 2. It is about a young boy and his little sister, and how they survive during the war. By the end of the film, I was inconsolable. My boyfriend was straight faced, totally unaffected by it. The reason it got to me so much is because I could relate to the young boy. All I could think throughout the film was, "What if that was my sister?". The young boy tries his hardest to look after his younger sister, but life just keeps throwing its punches. Even after the war is over, they still struggle and seemingly will never get their old life back. The film leaves you feeling sad about what they had to go through, but leaves you grateful for what you have. It really made me think about how easy we have got it. I don't live in a war stricken country so thus do not have to worry about day to day survival. It made everything I worry about now (bills, my studies, money) seem like nothing. It really made me think that I should just be grateful of my day to day life.

I never usually cry at films. It really takes a certain kind of film to get me crying. But never before have I cried at a film like I did that! It is such a touching and tragic story. Just thinking about it is getting me emotional. 

I cannot really write too much about it without spoiling it, so I hope I have managed to get across just how tragic this film is. It really will leave you there, thankful for all you have, whilst your heart aches for the young girl and boy in the film! It is such a weird contrast, and to be honest, I was left thinking not sure what to feel. But it is a fantastic film and will really change your outlook on life. Give it a watch!
Grave of the Fireflies [DVD]


No comments:

Post a Comment